Should we bump the minimum python required version to 3.6?

Just what the topic says. Stemming out of the PR here: https://github.com/huge-success/sanic/pull/1509

Python releases are now set to be supported for 5 years from their release date. So, Python 3.5 will be supported until September 2020.

I think as long as 3.5 is supported we should continue. Unless we have a compelling reason. Changing libraries does not seem like an overwhelming reason to drop support for a Python version.

I don’t disagree, but I wanted to start thinking about it - and get people prepared.

If 3.5 is supported until September 2020, should we be planning to bump the required version of python to 3.6 at that time? Or should we make the leap to bump it to 3.7? We have time to make the decision, so it doesn’t need to be a rash one, but it could shape how we prune code and implement features.

@ahopkins @sjsadowski

I did a bit of digging to find out the usage of sanic with python3.5 and here is what I found. Stats URL

And a total of 43k downloads have been reported in the last 100 days. That seem to be a pretty large number of downloads. So, at this point, adding a deprecated warning might cause an annoyance for a lot of users who are still on python3.5.

However, I suppose we can start thinking about a possible strategy to deprecate support for this in the future and see what might be the best way to achieve this.

# Stats of Download for last 100 days
| Python 3.5    | Python 3.6      | Python 3.7    | Python 3.8       |
|---------------|-----------------|---------------|------------------|
| 43801         | 152611          | 70459         | 38               |

Probably by the next LTS release, stating that any Sanic release after September 2020 may not support Python 3.5, although a lot of things may work after (IMHO) …